Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Gouda Years

Gouda (“好大”)
... is the Dutch town were I was born in the summer of 1965.

The place is famous for it's cheese (a personal favourite, highly addictive) Stroopwafels (so-so, nice once half a year with a cup of fine Yunnan tea), stained glass in the cathedral (three *** in the Guide Michelin, therefore a must for French tourists) and... the famous gallery of my (in)famous dad.
He made good reputation as jeweller and artist in sculptures in steel. A vibrant man, claiming to be of some far Chinese origin, magnetic to ladies, but whom I better let tell his own story on his own weblink...

Personally, I deem the story of my mum more worthwile mentioning here. She is from Austria (奥地利)where she was born of Slovenian born parents in Graz, in my opinion the most lovely city of Austria full of first class restaurants, romantic parks and flirty students...

She had a hard time adjusting in Holland, only to return later to marry her second husband. They live now happy together in the mountains of Styria in our home in a tiny village called Tauplitz. About that place I might elaborate later...

I guess the Gouda years were reasonably happy, although some people told me otherwise afterwards...

I was a neat boy, no siblings, always kind, but there were some unexplainable inclinations that made my parents somewhat suspicious: I played classical records and collected sugar sachets stolen from restaurants and cafés...

(cont'd)




No comments: